Monday, September 14, 2009

Old diet vs. new diet

I used the word "diet" in the title but let me state once again that I am not on a diet. I am eating three meals a day with fruit, salads and sometimes even cereal as snacks. But there are reasons I gained so much weight before and reasons that I am losing weight now and I want to look at some of those reasons.

My worst eating of the day used to be breakfast. My old eating had too many donuts. My cleaners is next to a donut shop. Twice a week I made the cleaner run and that included a quick run into the donut shop. We also have donuts at the dealership every Saturday morning. I have not had a single donut in a month. I am not saying I will never eat a donut again but I won't eat very many until my weight is under control. I also used to eat a lot of fast food breakfast meals. The charts at Livestrong.com have revealed to me that those aren't good healthy choices. Karen makes me a home cooked wheat bread toast, bacon, egg, and low fat cheese sandwich almost every morning now. This breakfast has 1/3 the fat grams as what I was eating. When she doesn't cook I eat the delicious Jimmy Dean low cal breakfast sandwich or a hot pocket breakfast. If you haven't tried these get you a box and sample it. Good tasting food can be healthy too and these little jewels are proof.

For lunch and supper I pretty much eat the best thing from my old consumption routine which is Karen's cooking. Her left overs from the previous day were and still are the best things I can eat at work each day. Karen not only is a wonderful cook but she has always cooked healthy food for me. If you have to eat fast food, and sometimes that is all we have time for, my favorite choices are Subway (of course) and Taco Bell. Three regular Taco Bell tacos fills me up and that meal has 510 calories and 30 fat grams. Any complete meal that has around 30 fat grams is good for me as my daily goal is 100 for the day. My old favorite fast food meal was a Jumbo Jack, two tacos, and large fries (1600 calories, 83 fat grams). That is about what I try to consume for the total day now so needless to say I don't eat that meal any more. I used to eat a meal after work. The main problem there is I get home after 9:30 most nights. We now send my entire day of meals to work with me and I eat my last meal around 7 o'clock. If I get home really hungry I will eat a bowl of cereal but in the last 4 weeks that has only happened three times. I have cut back on sweets. I loved Karen's baggie of oreos or the honey bun he used to give me but we have replaced that with fruit. I really haven't missed the sugar and the fruit gives me all the sweetness I need.

Well that pretty much sums up the old diet vs. the new. I am not starving my self although I do let myself get hungry before I eat now. I just can't put into words how much better I feel.

I'm back Wednesday with the weigh in.

I'm off and pedaling for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment