Monday, September 7, 2009

Bike memories

Teaching your kids how to ride a bike is, to quote Charles Dickens, "the best of times and the worst of times". The worst part is of course the hours spent running beside and holding the bike up for them. It is exhausting and at times frustrating. The best part though is the site of them when they start pedaling on their own. None of us were born with the ability to ride a bicycle. We just learn how some way. It doesn't happen in the first 5 minutes or even on the first try. It takes several tries and a few falls before we get it down. I'm not sure how accurate this is but my recollection is that my Grandfather Roger Howard ( my Mom's Dad) is the person who got me going originally. We were at their house on the corner of Staffordshire and Conflans. I'm pedaling away on the sidewalk and so thankful he is holding me up. I glance over my shoulder to make sure he won't let go and he is gone! I immediately panic and fall but he comes and lifts me up. He tells me I have been riding by myself and that I can do it. He got me going again, told me he was letting go, and off I went.

I do recall Karen and I both training Melanie and Kimberly. I recall very vividly when they got it. We were on the LB Barton blacktop. There was plenty of room and no other traffic. After several tries it happened. Kim got it first. I can't believe she stayed up given the way her front wheel went back and forth but she did. The wobbling lasted maybe 5 minutes but then she was zipping all over that blacktop. I was so proud of her. Well big sister Melanie would have none of that and with new determination she got on her bike and within 15 minutes of Kim's first solo ride she had it down too. It was a great day.

The younger two daughters were a lot easier on me because the older sisters provided more training than I did. Karen, Mel, and Kim taught Laura. I do remember getting home from work and Laura calling me outside to show me she could ride. She was so proud and I was even prouder. Laura picked it up fast and she was good on her bike in a short time. I really don't know how Jenna learned to ride but I remember when I found out that she did. I was outside in the front yard while the kids were playing. Little Jenna comes flying down the sidewalk on a little 12 inch bike without training wheels. She was so young and tiny that it had never occurred to me that she ready to learn how to ride a bike but she was off and pedaling. I'll give the credit to her sisters for teaching her. Whoever taught her I owe a big thank you.

The thing about memories is we own them to ourselves. Sometimes they aren't totally accurate and my recollections may not be 100 percent the way things actually happened. But this is how I recall the events and they are some of the best memories of my life.

Back Wednesday with the weigh in. I'm off and pedaling for now.

1 comment: