Monday, November 2, 2009

The issue of daily exercise

First let me say that a daily exercise routine is hard. It doesn't matter if I am riding my bike or jogging on the mini trampoline. Once I get going I enjoy it. But most days I leave for work early and get home between 9:30 to 10 o' clock. It just gets harder and harder to find the desire. I do not believe that I have to exercise every day but I know that the more I exercise the more calories I burn and the more weight I lose. I do want to exercise daily. I had a revelation today regarding the daily exercise. It is so simple and so obvious that I am dissappointed that it took me so long to think of this.

It occurred to me that I have an opportunity while at work to get some exercise. I have the type of job where I can get a lot dumped on me at once and not be able to look up for hours. But it also the type of job where there may be hours where I have nothing to do as well. I had a down time moment this morning. I went out side and just decided to walk around our main building. I counted my steps and the first lap was 207 steps. The second lap I found a way to add 13 more steps to make it 220 steps. I consider one step to be one yard. 220 yards is 1/8 of a mile. I know this because I used to run track and that was in the 60's before the democrats convinced the US Track and Field Association to go metric. 8 laps is one mile and I did it in 15 minutes. The charts at Livestrong.com say that I actually burn a few more calories walking 1 mile in 15 minutes than I did in 20 minutes on the mini trampoline.

The good news is that my exercise issue is resolved. The bad news is I can no longer use "I don't have time" as an excuse.

I'm back Wednesday with the weigh in. I'm off and pedaling for now.

1 comment: