Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trick or Treat

There are many different elements that make up Halloween. The elements change through the years too. As a preschooler and into early elementary school years it was all about the costume and candy. The first costume that I can recall was an out of the box Superman costume that I wore when I was in the first grade. I was honored to wear Superman of course. The costumes always looked so cool in the box. They weren't that comfortable to wear though. I remember the plastic masks being miserably hot and they made it difficult to breathe too. I still loved them anyway. I remember one year getting a boxed Dracula costume and thinking it was really cool. Then I see Vance Gallimore, a neighborhood kid a few years older than I, wearing a home made Dracula costume. He had a real cape and blood painted on his face. He definitely out costumed me that year. Regardless of costume the real goal each year was to get all the candy possible, bring it home, and eat it. I don't think I was ever out performed in that area.

As an adolescent Halloween became more about the friends. I remember in the 5th and 6th grade feeling this calling that I had to find Ronnie Sikorski. Ronnie was my best friend in elementary school. His neighborhood was adjacent to mine but was actually a pretty good walk/run from my house. With all the kids on the street finding him was like the proverbial needle in a haystack but somehow I always did find him. We would sprint from house to house to get the candy. We were the fastest running trick or treaters ever.

I do have to say though that my favorite Halloweens were those where Karen and I took our girls out to do their trick or treating. This was in the 80's/90's and these were different times. By then security had become the focal point on Halloween. Our Halloweens were spent at Plymouth Park Baptist Church. They would do some type of festival theme each year and they had carnival games and candy galore. The kids would always get their fill. What made it special is each year Karen would make us our costumes. We would always go as a family or unit of something. One year we were pound puppies. I remember a year where we were bunnies. One year we were a 50's family. I was just the lucky man who got to be next to those adorably cute girls all night long. Those are the best memories.

Everyone enjoy this Halloween. I'm off and pedaling for now.

2 comments: