Monday, October 19, 2009

This is huge...My letter worked!

I don't talk about what I eat much any more because it became repetitive and frankly boring. But I do strive, on a daily basis, to eat healthy. The biggest change is that I have all but eliminated fast food and restraunt food from my eating. I try to keep those meals to a once a week maximum. Inspired by Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef and all the cooking shows that Karen and I love to watch I have taken on a new interest for cooking. I always have loved to cook but my cooking has always been in the most basic and elementary level. I am trying to take my cooking style and incorporate some of Karen's style into what I do now. I am a work in progress. Having said that there is nothing wrong with an occasional picked up meal and boys and girls it is time to run, not walk to JACK IN THE BOX because they have brought back the BONUS JACK !

HIP HIP HOORAY! MY LETTER WORKED !

The younger of you reading this have no idea what I am talking about. From the time I discovered Jack in the Box, which was in the late 60's, until around 1978 they had a burger on their menu called the Bonus Jack. It is a small double decker with cheese and it is similar to a Big Mac but so much better. Just like the JITB tacos, it is simply unique. There is nothing else like it anywhere. When Karen and I dated in high school it was our staple meal. Sometime in the late 70's JITB tried to become a little more upscale and they added some chicken sandwiches and different things to their menu. They discontinued the Bonus Jack at that time. I did something I had never done before and have not done since. I wrote a letter of complaint to the JITB corporate office in San Diego and begged them to bring it back.

I am sure that Jack, had he seen it at that time, would have acted on my behalf. But if you recall Jack was ousted in a corporate takeover at that time and was not able to run his own company until he took control back in the early 2000's. I know this to be fact because that is what Jack said happened when he started being used in their TV commercials again. There had to be so many letters to go through during the time that he was out of power that he just now got around to mine. I am sure that Jack tried to contact me personally but I have had several new addresses and phone numbers since I wrote my letter. I'm okay with that and all that matters is that the Bonus Jack is back!

Karen and I have made our plans. We are eating a Bonus Jack this Wednesday on my early day off from work.To those of us that remember, let's all run out and get one and before you take the first bite, raise it in a toast to 1) My close personal friend Jack and 2) the power of the complaint letter. To those who will be tasting this treat for the very first time, let me tell you that you are welcome. I feel your thanks already.

A side note to Jack...I love you man.

Back Wednesday with the weigh in...I'm off and pedaling for now.

2 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! Brett loves JITB too... I well mention the Bonus Jack to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprise him with one. The way to a man's heart is through his stomach you know. And while you're at it treat yourself too.

    ReplyDelete