Tuesday, February 16, 2010

This is my therapy

I believe we all need a therapeutic hobby. This is the thing that when you need a break you can retreat to this activity and it will just calm you like nothing else seems to do. I have such a hobby and that is cooking outdoors on my grills or smoker.

Cooking outide....just saying it and the mental image of it is relaxing to me. I have always enjoyed cooking even when I wasn't very good at it. We all start out grilling burgers and hot dogs. From there we move on to grilling steaks. Not everyone goes to the next level of slow smoking using indirect heat but it was at this point when this became therapeutic for me. My brother-in-law Rex (Karen's brother) and I cooked many a bad brisket before we learned how to cook a good one. I enjoyed cooking just as much when I knew very little about what I was doing as I do today. The results aren't guaranteed and it does not always turn out perfect but when it does turn out just right it's proud papa time all over again.

I am very excited to announce that I will getting a new smoker soon. The one I have now I like a lot but the firebox is almost rusted out. It is also really a little smaller than I prefer. I have been saving up for a while for a nifty little unit they sell at Academy Sports and Outdoors. Memorial Day and July 4th are right around the corner too. I will be doing a lot of holiday cooking as usual. I will have room in the smoker for more meat so if anyone wants me to cook a brisket or chicken or ribs just bring the meat and I will tell you when to come pick it up.

I'm off and pedaling for now.

1 comment: