Thursday, August 27, 2009

What is the ideal body weight?

What is an ideal body weight for me? What is your ideal body weight? Well as always I turn to my good friend Google and ask the question. There are several answers of course. What drives me nuts is the opinion of the medical profession. They say a man 69.5" tall at my age and big boned should be 131-171 lbs. In my junior year of high school, in the best physical condition I was ever in and at this height, I weighed 167 lbs. I do not find their number to be realistic. In my search of sites I found the one that has what I believe the most realistic number. The site is http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm . The number is the average weight for people my height, age, and gender and they say my goal weight should be 214-218 lbs. Given where I am now that number would be great. I initially set my goal at 210 lbs and I do plan to get somewhere in that range. But what then?

I have set weight goals before and I met them. I then celebrated over the next year or two by putting all the weight back on. Tracking pounds is important. It is how we can measure our success. But this ultimately isn't about hitting a weight. It's about eating a diet and exercising enough to keep my weight where it should be for the rest of my life once I get there. I guess my goal this time is to get there and then keep on pedaling and eating right.

This will be my last post of the week. I'll return on Monday.

I'm off and pedaling for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment